If you’re ready to pack some essentials and head out into the wilderness with your family, kids or friends then you would want to learn more about these top family tent that will provide comfort, peace and relaxation, safety, and shelter from unwanted hazards that one might face while camping under the open sky. But choosing the best family camping tents are not always easy with tons of brands in the market with low quality.
If you plan on a camping trip then you might want to know where to start and the first thing that should be brought under consideration is your shelter for the night and there are a variety of family-friendly tents that can help make your vacation or little getaway not only enjoyable but easier and relaxing as well.
How To Choose the Best Family Camping Tent?
Choosing something for the entire family tent can be a tricky thing to do in any circumstances because you just not only have to think about yourselves but also have to keep in mind the comfort of the whole troop.It must protect from flies and weather protection guarantee as well. So choosing the Best Family Camping Tents is not easy as you think.
Let’s discuss how you want to make sure that your trip is adventurous and fun but also secure and safe for your friends and family because vacationing in open places like in a forest or a mountain can pose many different threats specifically to young kids that may accompany you. This also depends on the duration, length, and terrain of your camping trip.
Here we have a list of factors that one should be considering while choosing for best family tents:
Many of the experienced mountaineers and hikers suggest that one has to be sure enough that your sleeping space is sufficient. The sleeping capacity of your tent should be according to the number of people and the number of tents that are to be shared amongst them. It is very important because not having enough legroom or sleeping space could make your nights awful or bad weather and days miserable and tend to ruin your experience as a whole.
Similarly, car camping with kids can be very unpleasant due to the lack of a proper place to sleep. So make sure to consider sufficient incapacity according to your needs while buying a tent for a family camping trip.
Tent vestibules can come in very handy as you can use them to put your excessive outdoor gear and other things for convenience. They are also very helpful when camping in muddy or rainy places so you don’t track mud and water into your tent and can just take off your boots and wet items of clothing and place them in a separate vestibule to keep the sleeping space clean and dry.
It is an important feature of the tent that it stays dark even in full light. As in the wilderness and broad daylight, it can be hard to catch a little shut-eye, keeping the tent dark on the inside can help you make some quick naps or even put the kids to sleep for a bit if they are alone. Thus make sure to buy a tent that does not let much light pass during the daytime.
The tent you buy should have extra mesh pockets built in the insides of the tent as they can be helpful to store and keep important things such as your wallets, keys, cellphones, and cameras safe, this is also a very helpful feature with plenty of space you might want to stay on the lookout for.
These are some of the vital factors to keep in mind while looking for the best tent brands.
Difference Between Small vs. Large Tents:
The size of your Best Family Camping Tent depends on the size and individual needs of your family and they come in many different sizes large and small. Also larger tents have mesh roof, extra gear features and big mesh storage pocket as well.
They are more suitable for families that need a bigger livable space and more space because not having enough space to sleep at night can end up making your experience miserable rather than pleasant and joyful for your next outdoor adventure.
Ideally, a four-person tent should be comfortable for an adult couple to sleep in, similarly, for a family of 4 people, 6-person tent, a tent that has the capacity of around six persons will be a more suitable and ideal choice for maximum comfort and extra space. So choose the Best Family Camping Tents for your need.
Larger size tents will obviously give much more room and hence will be seen as more comfortable no matter what the size of a family is but the maintenance factor of a large tent should not be ignored as well as the costs and setting up of these technical models. This will be helpful with larger family size and extended camping trips.
Small tents are more compact and suitable for smaller families and are also usually retailed at lower price ranges as compared to their bigger counterparts. If you have a small family of 2 or 3 people then a small tent with sufficient livable space and headspace is ideal for your camping venture.This can be easy for backpacking tents in this category.
Small tents can be comfortable for a single person or even two people and are often more economical and lower maintenance as compared to the bigger ones and can be more easily carried around and should be relatively easy to set up even though for larger parties they might not be suitable and will not provide optimum relaxation and comfort.
Types of Best Family Camping Tents:
Nowadays the market is full of different kinds of family camping tents. Usually the small version with be 4-person tent for families. Innovations and different trends have made different changes in family camping tents but there are five major types of family tents. These types of family camping tents are described below as following:
- Teepee tents
- Dome tents
- Tunnel tents
- Cabin tents
- Bell tents
Also, there are rooftop tents, 4-person tents, cabin tents, cheap tents, durable tents, expensive tents, and more varieties avaiable according to your outdoor camping trip.
Tepee tents are like bell-shaped ones. The common thing about them is that tent body have a sealed tent floor and they are supported by the help of a single pole. The absence of a vertical wall portion is one of the main distinguishing features in these tents. They are considered to be comparatively simpler tents and this makes them cheaper tents than others so therefore many of the families prefer to have them during their visit to hill stations due to their low costs.
It may not have the rain fly with it in some Best Family Camping Tent brands.
As it is probably suggested by the name, this type of tent is dome-shaped. In a dome tent, the screen room is typically connected to the main part of the dome. It is larger tent and lightweight tent version available. The other case can be of a porch situation or even some sort of a vestibule that needs some extra support given by another pole in tent body. Such types of tents have a strong grip on the ground and due to their dome-shaped structures, they can do not allow the air to get trapped and cause any sort of trouble.
As evident by the names similarly to previous ones a tunnel tent is shaped like a tunnel. It consists of long forms or structures made evenly on all sides of the pole which creates a very spacious area even in tent walls though it might not be as roomy as the cabin tents, but still, it is very spacious and attractive. It comes with small tent poles. All the lengths on all sides of tunnel tents are the same on all axes of the pole to ensure symmetry and to maintain its entire structure to the ground.
Bell tents are kind of similar to dome tents and the tent is supported by a thick central pole which gives the fabric of the tent a similar shape as the letter “A” but does not give a lot of headroom unless the central pole is long which will be difficult to set up on the first place. Most of these types of tents available in the stores are made up of canvas materials. Such tents have the most capacity as compare to other types of tents and that’s why they are usually set up to cover up a large family.
The cabin tents are the most elegant and best camping gear you will have for longterm. They are box-shaped with the most structural integrity and have a simple square shape, they can stand on their own because of their shape and distribution of weight but some kind of support or poles are still preferable to ensure the safety of the family in case of any unseen sudden situations.
So these are the main types of family tents based on the shape and materials of the tents. We will further discuss the best tents available in the market for family camping trips.
20 Best Family Camping Tents According to Amazon Reviews
These are some of the best rated family camping tents according to their value and features. The list of these family camping tents is based on the reviews of the users from Amazon and other shopping platforms. They have strong wind and rain protection as well. Below features you may need to check before buying the family tent for your camping.
- Exclusive WeatherTec System keeps you dry
- Durable carry bag with separate storage bags for tents, poles, and stakes
- Entry-level price
- Great for small family car campers, solo travelers, and first time campers
- Adjustable Variflo ventilation controls air flow
- Vented Cool-Air port
- Privacy vent window
- Easy two-pole set-up with shock-corded poles
- Interior gear pocket
- Electrical access port
- Easy set-up with continuous pole sleeves
- Easy-to-follow instructions sewn into durable carry bag
- Pin and ring design with InstaClip attachments
- Dome structure is easy to transport and simple to set up
The standard prices given by the companies are also listed to help you choose the tent for families and make your instant cabin tent easily. These are very reasonable price, durable tents, and quick setup times.
- 6-person dome tent features a separate screen room for insect-less lounging and extra sleeping space
- Fast Pitch tent design sets up in about 7 minutes
- WeatherTec system and rainfly keep tent interior dry and comfortable
- Durable Polyguard fabric and strong frame designed to last season after season
- ☀HIGHLIGHT: DESIGN PATENTED Lightest Pop Up Screen Room for 2-3 adults is only 9 lbs, lighter than other similar items, innovated frame and folding way keep compact carry bag with 43.3" diameter. Light weight, pop up automatic, no assembly need, stable and durable, easy folding and carry around. Alvantor tent frame is made of fiberglass, light-weight and long-last, other similar tents on the market are made of steel and iron, which is heavy and easy to be rusted.
- ☀SPACIOUS SPACE & VENTILATION: Alvantor Breezy Hexagonal Screen house is 6'x6'x6.5', providing a spacious interior shelter that comfortably fits 2-3 adults. Huge interior space for patio furnitures and BBQ grills inside. 4 mesh tent walls panel supply 360-degree ventilation for better dissipation of body heat and odor, for excellent views of outdoors at the same time. Best space in garden, backyard or during outdoor travels for party, afternoon tea time or picnic.
- ☀PATENTED DESIGN: Fabric top provides an all-day UPF 50+ UV protection against burning sun, not waterproof & not rainproof. One large entrance door with double side silicone zipper, easy to zip from inside and outside alike. 4 mesh netting screen walls protect your family and food. Extra hook for your coat, bag or something else. 4 elongated sandbags, 8 guylines and 8 metal mounting stakes, provide extra stability in windy conditions.
- ☀POP UP & EASY DOWN: Creative fiberglass ribs is automatic open. Innovative folding technique is easy to fold down and make carry bag compact diameter 43.3”x2.4”H, easy for storage. Awesome design make travel and camping easier. NOTICE, not recommended to use when the wind force reaches 24-30.8 mile/hour.
- 【Keep You Dry in the Downpour】190T PU2000mm Polyester outer layer and 150D Oxford floor prevent you from getting wet even in the downpour. The 3 or 4 person tents for camping waterproof provides strong water resistance in harsh weather.
- 【Easy-Setup 3 or 4 person backpacking tent】Compare to traditional tent, this 4 or 3 person tent is easier to set up. Save more time to have fun with your lovers. Mesh inner tent allows you to enjoy the stary sky and gentle breeze at night.
- 【Unique Design Expandable Tent Bag for Easy Pack】Just unzip the bottom of the storage bag, you could get a larger storage bag for your tents for camping 4 person or 3 person. Don't worry to repack the 3-4 person tent.
- 【Two Door Design 3-4 Person Tent】The tent is designed with a front door and back door. No need to crawl over each other to enter or exit. The backpacking tent has two different types of vestibules to put your bags and shoes.
- [2 Person Tent]: Measures 8.07 x 5.09 feet, Center Height: 3.44 feet; Spacious interior can hold 2 adults easily. The camping tent weighs 6.6lb, the lightweight tent allows you could carry it easily. The tent suitable for 3 Seasons and preferred use for hiking, expeditions, fishing, beach, car camping, or other outdoor activities.
- [Easy Setup & Storage]: The instant setup tent with pre-assembled poles sets up in seconds. Simply open the bag and let go, making the pitching process easy, no moer fumbling with tent poles. Please read the instruction or contact us to get video for packing. The package comes a portable carrying bag, so you can enjoy outdoor leisure more easily.
- [Superb Ventilation System]: Eackrola pop up tent features two doors, which will allow you to air out the tent in a couple minutes. And the additional zippered mesh windows will keep bugs out and allow for adequate airflow on hot days. The great ventilation system will gives you a dry and comfortable experience.
- [Premium Quality Material]: 190T Polyester + waterproof PU coating; Ground: 150D Oxford ground sheet + Waterproof PU coating; All taped seams enhanced the waterproof, hydrostatic rating 2000mm, can be used without problems if it rains lightly, and the tent design is for optimal comfort, lasting quality, and ease of use.
- [ Roomy Enough for 4-6 Person with Vestibule ] – This pop up tent has spacious interior:12.5 x 8.5 feet floor; Sleeps 5-6 adults in sleeping bags or 4-5 people with lots of luggage. Center Height: 53.5". Unique vestibule design offers separate room for lots of camping gears, shoes or your large dog. Electrical Cord Access Port, enable you to run a power cord from outside power source into the devices of your tent. Storage pockets and lantern hook keep items neat and organized.
- [ Unique Double Layer – Prevent Condensation ] – This camping tents special designed with double layer, the inner layer and outer layer connected by hooks, which can effectively prevent condensation. There is a gap between the inner and outer layer, become a ground vents which can offer additional ventilation to keep you cool on the warm spring and summer evening.
- [ Easy Setup with Smaller Package ] – This quick setup tent with pre-assembled poles sets up in seconds. Simply open the bag and let go, making the pitching process easy and enjoyable. No need to fumble with tent poles, or bother with complicated instructions. Tent comes in a portable smaller carrying bag. Size only 88*88*3cm/ 34.6*34.6*1.2 inch, easy to carry.
- [ 2 Doors + Hooded Vents + 4 Windows - More Ventilation ] – This pop-up tent with 2 large FRONT door and REAR hooded vents, 4 zipper design mesh windows on the left and right sides. Windows & doors with double panels, allows either side to be completely open. Closed with just the mesh material, allows hot air to escape while keeping small items out. Or sealed with the nylon door for total privacy. Both with double-side zipper, enable to zipper in the tent without getting out the tent.
- ✅【The Toogh Advantage 】 Toogh is a registered trademark protected by US Trade mark Law, We stand behind our products and provide a 15-day money-back guarantee for any reason and 12-month warranty for quality-related issues for this 3-4 person tent.
- ✅【Unique and fantastic design】The tent is Super easy to set up and take down in only 60 seconds，Simply lift up the top of the tent and it will automatic installation. Press the end of the pole at moment which poles have yellow labels, automatically folding tent
- ✅【Exclusive Patent】 Use high-grade Oxford cloth, fine workmanship.Please select genuine Toogh for purchase
- ✅【High Quality Waterproof Fabric】Outside tent with a waterproof level of 3000mm is made of 210D oxford fabric + Silicone Coating. The tent floor with a waterproof level of 10000mm is made of 210T
These Best Family Camping Tents are the ones that will last longer and provide proper protection to the family. Moreover, your ideal tent depends upon your personal needs and budgets and the types and durations of your camping trips. Some of them are cheaper tent with less features, but you can choose the expensive tents according to your needs.
Tips For Taking Care of Your Camping Tents:
Taking care of your camping tents can also be a tricky business because you want to ensure their optimal conditions for as long as possible. Following are the main important rules of taking good care of your family tents
- Try to be gentle with the supporting poles and zippers.
- The tent needs to clean and left to air dry from time to time so make sure you are sufficiently cleaning it.
- While setting up and assembling that you should always read the instructions manual and do as instructed
- Make sure your tent is properly dry before storing it anywhere. When its rainy weather, your tent needs to be well prepared to protect you at night.
- The tent should not be left set up too long in the sun as long periods of exposure to UV rays can decrease the life of your tent and cause damage. The fabrics in the rainfly and the canopies can be destroyed by the UV rays in case of long-term sunlight exposure.
- Be gentle with the supporting poles and don’t go around poking them or violently and carelessly shoving them in places because you can unknowingly damage the pole or cause it to bend or chip in some way that will make the entire supporting system of your tent weak and unstable so handle them with care.
- Don’t bring in wet or muddy boots into the tent’s main area .leave them outside or put them in the vestibule part along with other things that can make your tent dirty.
- You don’t want your tent to smell awful because you will be living in it so it is advised not to eat anything, especially with a strong or pungent scent inside the tent, or bring anything that has a strong fragrance because it might linger inside and make it unpleasant and also make it seem unclean or even attract different creatures who will try to eat through your tent.
- Your pets can cause damage to the tent by scratching and biting it so make sure to make separate arrangements for your pets and not to let them inside the tent.
- Your tent should be kept in storage in a cool and dry place, these are the optimal conditions to make your tent last longer. It is also very important to make sure that it is not wet before putting it away for long periods.
- It is advised against using a washing machine or any other such method to wash your tent because they can be very harsh on the fabric and cause wear and tear easily.
- The tent should be cleaned by hand or some less harsh washing method without using any hard tools to retain the structural integrity of the fibers.
Following these tips will help ensure that your tent will last not only for a longer time but also in the best possible condition for you to enjoy and also save money by avoiding unnecessary damage and repairs to your tent.
In conclusion, several factors need to be looked into if you want to buy a family camping tent and have a nice getaway for a few days and there are many good quality tents available to meet your individual needs. The names and their retail values, as well as the pros and cons of different types of family camping tents, are listed above, at the end, it all comes down to the individual needs and the size of the family, and what is affordable at the given times, But all of them are rated in the top tier.
Families are supposed to be our priority and safety cannot be compromised at any cost. Therefore always keep in the mind the number of individuals and the place where you are going for camping to choose the best for your family.